In addition to lightning, thunderstorms can include:
What to Do
- WHEN THUNDER ROARS, GO INDOORS!
- Unplug appliances.
- Do not use landline phones and running water.
- If in water, get to land and find a sturdy building or vehicle immediately.
- If necessary, shelter in a car. Do not touch anything metal.
How to Prepare
- Make sure Wireless Emergency Alerts are turned on in the settings of your mobile device. They are on by default on Apple and Android devices.
- Other email and SMS weather alert services
- NOAA Storm Prediction Center
- FEMA Thunderstorm/Lightning Info
- CDC Lightning First Aid
- Identify nearby, sturdy buildings where you live, work and play.
- Consider buying surge protectors or a lightning protection system to protect your property and appliances.
How to Recover
- Avoid fallen power lines and trees. Report them immediately.