Terrorism/Bomb Threat

What to Do

  • Be aware of your surroundings and alert to anything out of the norm.
  • If you SEE something, SAY something! Report suspicious activity to your local law enforcement (713-348-6000 or 911) and describe who or what you saw, when you saw it, where it occurred, and why it's suspicious.
  • If you find a suspicious item:
    • Do not touch, tamper with, or move the item
    • Immediately report the item to law enforcement
  • If you receive a phone threat:
    • Do not hang up
    • Copy the number and or letters on the phone's display, if possible
    • Write down the exact wording of the threat
    • Record the call, if possible
    • Keep the caller on the line for as long as possible and use the Bomb Threat Checklist to gather as much information as you can
  • If you receive a verbal threat:
    • If the perpetrator leaves, note the direction they went
    • Write down/record the threat exactly as it was communicated
    • Be ready to provide a detailed physical description of the perpetrator to authorities (name if known, race, gender, body type, clothing, hair and eye color, distinguishing features, voice characteristics, etc.)
  • If you receive a written threat:
    • Handle the document as little as possible
    • Rewrite the threat exactly as is on another sheet of paper and note the following:
      • Date/time/location document was found
      • Situations/conditions surrounding the discovery
      • Full names of any persons who saw the threat
    • Secure the original document; do not alter in any way
      • If small/removable, place in a bag or envelope
      • If large/stationary, secure the location
  • If you receive a email threat:
    • Leave the message open on the computer/device
    • Notify Rice IT, Crisis Management (713-348-6088), and/or RUPD (713-348-6000)
    • Print, photograph, or copy the message and subject line; note the date and time of receipt

How to Prepare

How to Recover

  • Follow all law enforcement instructions. Evacuate in the direction they come from, unless otherwise instructed.
  • Consider seeking professional counseling to cope with the long-term effects of trauma. Rice University's Wellbeing & Counseling Center provides wellbeing and mental health counseling for all Rice students. Counseling services for faculty/staff are available through Human Resources' Employee Assistance Program.