Skip to main content
June 1 through November 30 is Hurricane Season.
For the most up-to-date information, click here.
What to Do
- If you smell smoke or see fire, implement R.A.C.E: Rescue, Alert, Confine, and Extinguish/Evacuate.
- Activate the fire alarm.
- Report the situation by calling RUPD at 713-348-6000. Give:
- Exact location of the fire (building, floor, room number)
- Type of fire (electrical, flammable liquid, trash, etc.)
- Extent of fire (severity of fire and/or amount of smoke)
- Your name and telephone number
- If you are trained and comfortable with the situation, attempt to extinguish a small fire using the proper fire extinguisher and the PASS method:
- Pull the safety pin from the handle.
- Aim the extinguisher at the base of the fire.
- Squeeze the trigger handle.
- Sweep from side to side at the base.
- Close doors along the exit path when possible to contain the spread of fire.
- DO NOT lock the door. Leave the corridor and room lights on.
- If possible, shut off all non-essential oxygen, gas, and electrical appliances in the area and remove any hazardous materials.
- Evacuate the building using the nearest stairwell available.
- If you hear the alarm sound, grab your essential personal belongings (phone, wallet, keys) and evacuate the building as quickly and safely as possible.
- Never use the elevator.
- Use the nearest stairwell available.
- If the door is hot or if you see smoke outside the door, stay in your room or exit through a window if possible.
- Call RUPD at 713-348-6000 to communicate your location and situation.
- Cover the gap between the door and floor with wet towels.
- If the door is cool and there is no smoke, evacuate the building using the nearest stairwell.
- If you are caught in smoke, stay low and crawl towards exit. Cover your mouth and nose with a cloth or towel and breathe shallowly.
- Laboratory Shutdown Procedure in the event of fire:
- Stop lab work.
- Shut off ignition sources such as Bunsen burners.
- Close the sash on fume hoods and biosafety cabinets.
- Remove personal protective equipment.
- Evacuate the building.
- Never re-enter the building until emergency officials have cleared you to do so.
- Individuals with impaired mobility should call RUPD at 713-348-6000 and request assistance with evacuation.
How to Prepare
- Know the Prohibited Items in Residential Colleges, including:
- all cooking/heating appliances, including coffee makers
- all smoke or vapor producing devices, including candles, incense, flammables, and incendiaries
- Do not smoke indoors or within 25 feet of any door or window. See Rice University's Smoking Policy for designated smoking areas.
- Do not cover or tamper with the smoke detector.
- Do not tamper with the thermostat.
- Document your belongings through video/pictures.
How to Recover
- Use your documented inventory to aid in the recovery of any belongings lost in a fire.
- Communicate your safety status to family, loved ones, and your College Magister.